Thursday, March 08, 2007

The View From Here


I just realized something.

I never told you about Guatemala.

Last month my wife Liesl and I traveled to Guatemala City to visit the work of Compassion International and join other children's advocates on a short spiritual retreat. While we were there we stayed at a beautiful resort at the base of a volcano. (A generous donor paid for the retreat as a way to minister to us, it wasn't paid for through Compassion's funds). I've attached a picture of the view from the resort in this post. Simply stunning.

So while we were there, Mark Yaconelli, the speaker for the retreat, said, "Mel Gibson is staying here too!"

And I shook my head. "No way."

"He is. C'mon."

So Liesl and I followed him to the lobby. And sure enough as we stood there, Mel Gibson was joking around with some of the servers in the restaurant. Then he turned and headed straight toward us.

I wanted to say, "I really respect your work. Thanks for all you do! I'm praying for you," but was too embarrassed to say anything. I just stood there gawking. After he walked past us, gentle warm-hearted Liesl turned to me and said, "That was really Mel Gibson! I could have reached out and tripped him!"

It was so lovely.

In my next post I'll show you a picture of the home of one family Compassion ministers to.

No comments: